Our Annual Heavy Equipment Operator & Mechanic Academy takes place the first three weeks of June.
2022 Entry Level Civil Construction
Heavy Equipment Operator & Mechanic Academy
Note: application is for both academies
- At least 17 years of age
- High School Senior on track to graduate
- Will have a High School Diploma or GED by June 2nd, 2021
- Must Pass drug test given at time of interview
- Valid Alaska Driver’s License
- Able to provide a copy of High School or College Transcripts
There is a non-refundable Application Fee of $100. The fee covers application processing and drug testing.
- All applicants are drug tested at the time of interview.
- Assistance with housing for out-of-town participants is available.
- The interview process is a scored process and is competitive and we select the top 15 candidates, 10 candidates will be selected for operators and 5 will be selected for mechanics.
Our Three-Week Heavy Equipment Academy Includes:
Week One: Health & Safety Week – Certification in OSHA 10, MSHA 48B, First Aid/AED/CPR, NSTC (North Slope Training Cooperative).
Week Two & Three: Hands-on Introductory Training as Heavy Equipment Operator or Heavy Equipment Mechanic.
- Heavy Equipment Operator will provide a basic understanding of the safe and proper operation of various pieces of equipment and how they are used in the industry.
- Heavy Equipment Mechanic will provide a basic understanding of the following fields: DC Electrical, Air Brakes, Introduction to Hydraulics, Lube/Oil/Service Maintenance, Basic Welding, Component Recognition and how to do it all safely.
The objective of this academy is to provide entry-level training with heavy equipment to better position the trainee for future employment opportunities in the field. We do not offer any kind of job placement upon completion of this academy. This academy can also be a gateway to apply for an apprenticeship with the AK Operating Engineers or other Heavy Equipment Training.